One Church, Two Languages
Capitol Hill Baptist Church is a group of sinners saved by the grace of God. We're located in the OKC South Metro. Made up of people from different backgrounds and who speak different languages, we have chosen to covenant together as a local church to live life together and fulfill the Great Commission. We have two simultaneous worship services in English and Spanish.
Three Piers (Our foundation)
- The Lordship of Jesus Christ
- The Centrality of the Scriptures
- The Glory of God
Three Pillars (Our supports)
THree Purposes (Our mission)
- Equip the church
- Exalt Christ
- Extend the Gospel to the ends of the earth
Our ultimate goal is to train fully devoted disciples of Jesus Christ who will live by the Great Commandment (Matthew 22:37-40) and fulfill the Great Commission (Matthew 28:18-20).
In 1901 the First Baptist Church of Oklahoma City began a small Sunday School outreach in the Capitol Hill district of OKC. At a revival meeting the next year led by Rev. C.L. Green there were 12 people who were saved. They, along with five others, officially constituted The Missionary Baptist Church of Capitol Hill on the second Sunday in August of 1902. Rev. Green was called to be their first pastor the next January.
During the 1910’s, under the leadership of Rev. Charlie Curb, the church added over 300 people to its membership and planted three churches; Exchange Avenue, Wilmont Place, and Lawrence Avenue Baptist Church. The former two churches still exist today.
In 1917, the church called Rev. Truman G. Netherton as pastor, who would faithfully serve for 19 years. Recognizing the need, he led the church to secure property and build a new church on 25th & Harvey. It was during the 20’s and 30’s that Capitol Hill held many evangelistic tent meetings, including one by Mordecai Hamm, the revivalist under whom Billy Graham was converted. In 1934, Capitol Hill reached over 1,100 people in attendance in Sunday School.
Rev. Hugh R. Bumpass preached his first sermon as pastor on Easter Sunday, 1944. It was during his tenure that the new sanctuary was built at the building on 25th & Harvey, remodels and repairs were done, and additions were made to the education building. Rev. Bumpas would later serve as the president of the BGCO and on the Committee to update the Baptist Faith and Message in 1963. He pastored at Capitol Hill for 29 years.
In 1973, Capitol Hill Baptist Church unanimously called James R. White to be pastor. He began his ministry with a focus on the South side of Oklahoma City. The church made a commitment to "establish a satellite to our ministry to reach young families in South Oklahoma City." In June of 1988, the current property on 134th St. was dedicated, and in 1995 Capitol Hill began holding all services in this new South side location. Bother Jim retired after 32 years of service. He is still an active member today.
In 2005, Capitol Hill called Mark DeMoss as their Senior Pastor. After arriving, he led the church in a Vision For Excellence campaign, with an emphasis on renovating the church building, reaffirming commitments to disciple-making, evangelism, world missions, expository preaching, and excellence in every area of the life of the church.
In 2014 the church joined together with Ciudad de Dios, a Hispanic congregation that had been meeting on the property. Together, they became one church in two languages. Capitol Hill is now striving to equip the church, to exalt Christ, and to be a multi-ethnic church that exists for the glory of God.